Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Use Imply And Infer Correctly

Certain grammatical and word usage errors creep into our everyday speech and writing to the extent that they become acceptable to many people. However, careful writers and speakers learn to distinguish correct usage to avoid misunderstanding and to preserve the rules of the language.


Instructions


1. Remember this easy rule: "imply" rhymes with "I." Therefore, "I imply" but "you infer." The writer or speaker uses the words that imply something. The reader or listener assumes a meaning from the words he reads or hears, or from actions take someone else takes. "Imply" means to suggest or to hint, without specifically stating the point. "Infer" means to reach a conclusion from what someone writes, says or does.


2. Think of examples like this: I say to my friend, "I am surprised you could afford such an expensive car." I am implying that he must be making more money than I thought. However, he could incorrectly infer that I am suggesting he has done something criminal.


3. Write out a list of examples for both "imply" and "infer." Have a friend quiz you to see if you can choose the correct word in each example.